Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Finale of BME510

I took BME 510: Biological System Modeling this semester. It taught the basic aspects of modeling of nonlinear dynamic modeling, such as parameter estimation and model validation. The very known cases would be population growth model and predator and prey model.
Tonight was the presentation of everyone's final project. With no boundary, we could do any modeling, usually related to our own project. It could be the most divergent presentations ever. By the way, I am the only biology major. Others are mostly biomedical engineering
My topic is "A dynamic model of DAMGO mediating NF-kB activation". I was hoping to talk more of the model, but it turned out my classmates asked more questions about the biological background of the cell signaling.
My friend Chloe's project is calf muscle pump, which is called the second heart. It helps to pump the heart from lower body back to heart. In order to collect data, she has to sit still for hours with the monitor wrapped on her leg, and watch dramas on the laptop. What a wonderful scientific experiment!
And the most interesting one is from Shawatana. Her model is to reveal the relation between USA GDP and birthrate. The more amazing of her is that she is working on an equipment to help losing weight. (She is definitely slim BTW. )I told her, let me use that equipment when it is completed.
Had a lot of fun tonight. Thank you, Dr. Hiroki Sayama. You replied my 4AM email after 3 hr(7 AM) and corrected my codes in such short time! Your efficiency is admirable!

No comments:

Post a Comment